Wednesday, May 30, 2012

FINALLY finished....for now

Ugh, I've had this big gaping hole in my gallery wall in the dining room forever:


There's a mirror project I've been "working on" (code name for not working on) for a while.  First, I messed it up and had to buy a new mirror.  Then, I started it and every can of spray paint I bought came out messy.  I finally bought a new can at Lowe's last weekend and wrapped up this project.

I started off with a simple mirror and wood frame from Michael's:


I painted the bottom of the frame cream-colored, then added a fun saying in scrapbook letters:


Then, I spray painted the whole thing black:



Then it was time to peel off the letters and pray it looked great:



And.....it looks ok from far away, but here's the close up on those letters:



Yep, I didn't make sure they were all smashed down as tight as possible before painting.  Typical me.  Luckily, I had some vanilla acrylic paint (from one of the first tries at this project) and got a little paintbrush to make just tiny little fixes.  It didn't need to be perfect, but I didn't want it to be so so messy.  Much better!



And NOW the mirror goes back in and the whole thing goes back on the wall.



For the record, I don't like my black/yellow/cream color scheme anymore, but since we are hopefully in the process of moving, I can always change it up when we get somewhere else.  This gaping hole was just driving me INSANE, so it was worth finishing it up.  I'm super happy with the outcome of this wall thus far, and it's big enough to add more the longer we stay here, so I'm always on the lookout for new stuff to hang up!



No comments: